Date:	Sun, 11 Sep 2011 11:46:55 -0300
From:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
To:	Taylor Simpson <tsimpson@...eaurora.org>
Cc:	"'Arnd Bergmann'" <arnd@...db.de>,
	"'Linas Vepstas (Code Aurora)'" <linas@...eaurora.org>,
	"'Richard Kuo'" <rkuo@...eaurora.org>, linux-arch@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-hexagon@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: RE: [patch v3 24/36] Hexagon: Provide basic implementation and/or
 stubs for I/O routines.

On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 15:02 -0500, Taylor Simpson wrote:
> Using "memory" is a pretty big hammer.  Wouldn't it be better to use a
> memory operand?
>      asm volatile(
>              "memb(%0) = %1;"
>              : "m" (*(u8*)addr)
>              : "r" (data)
>      );

No you probably really want a full "memory" clobber, because typically
your IO ops should also act as barriers. The compiler has no way to know
for example that you want to order previous stores to memory (some DMA
descriptor you are populating) vs. an MMIO access that will trigger the
DMA from that location.

Linux defines the readX/writeX accessors as being fully ordered in that
case.

In fact, I'm not familiar with Hexagon, but if it's a weakly ordered
memory model you may also need some kind of memory barrier in those
accessors.

Cheers,
Ben.