Date:	Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:30:02 +0200
From:	Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@...ux.de>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Proposal for a low-level Linux display framework

* Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com> wrote:

> Jesse's design for the DRM overlay code will expose the pixel formats as
> FOURCC codes so that DRM and v4l2 can interoperate -- we've got a lot of
> hardware that has both video decode and 3D acceleration, so those are
> going to get integrated somehow. And, we have to figure out how to share
> buffers between these APIs to avoid copying data with the CPU.

Really naive question: where are these buffers laying ?
I guess, somewhere in the device, not in main memory (otherwise,
it wouldn't be a problem, right ?). So, the question to answer is:
how (of the subdevices) can see whose buffers and how to map
their local addresses.

Am I correct ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@...ux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666