Date:	Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:18:20 -0600
From:	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>
To:	nick bray <nick.bray1@...world.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org,
	lenb@...nel.org, Zhao Yakui <yakui.zhao@...el.com>,
	Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@...el.com>,
	Thomas Renninger <trenn@...e.de>
Subject: Re: kernel panic

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM, nick bray <nick.bray1@...world.com> wrote:

>>> Is this problem new in 3.1, or is it also present in 2.6.39 or 3.0?
>>>
>>> Also, do any other cmdline parmaters besides acpi=off work-around it?
>>> pci=noacpi
>>> maxcpus=1
>>>
>>> etc.
>>
>> Please keep all the cc's when responding.  Saves you work, saves us work
>> :)
>>
>> Summary of what I think you're seeing (please correct if wrong):
>>
>> 2.6.38 (Ubuntu/Mint): works fine, even with no boot args
>> 2.6.38 (Fedora 15): works fine, even with no boot args
>> 2.6.40? (Fedora 15 with upgraded kernel): requires "acpi=off" to boot
>> 3.0.0-12 (Ubuntu/Mint): requires "acpi=off" or "maxcpus=1" to boot.
>> "pci=noacpi" makes no difference.  with no arguments, panics as in
>> attached screenshot.
>> 3.1.0-0.rc6 (Fedora 16 live CD): can't find root device, drops to
>> debug shell, even with "maxcpus=1"
>>
>> Let's focus on Ubuntu and forget Fedora for now.
>>
>> The screenshot you sent (attached) has a clue ("EIP: [<00000000>] 0x0
>> SS:ESP 007b:00000046 CR2: 00000000ffffffff, Fatal exception in
>> interrupt") but doesn't really have enough context.  I should have
>> suggested booting with "vga=0xf07".  That will use a smaller font, so
>> the photo can capture more information.  Can you try that?  You might
>> have to use a lower jpg quality setting or resave with gimp at a low
>> quality setting to make the size 100K or less for the mailing lists.
>>
>> If you can boot 3.0.0-12 with "maxcpus=1", collect the dmesg log and
>> maybe we can compare it with the new "vga=0xf07" screenshot.

>            your summary is correct. Please see new screenshot taken with a
> better camera with the light off! Also I have resized it to >100k  Though I
> can't see a difference in the txt size even though I used vga=0xf07. also
> attached dmesg from Ubuntu 11.10 with maxcpus=1. Thank you for the time and
> interest. :)

Please use reply-all... it saves work for everybody!

Dunno why vga= doesn't do anything.  But this panic is different from
the first (and probably more useful).  Looks like this problem might
be in the acpi_processor_add() path, which might explain why
"maxcpus=1" makes a difference.

I added cc: to a few people who have recently changed the ACPI processor driver.

Are you able to build test kernels yourself?  If so, you could
sprinkle printks() in acpi_processor_add(), maybe with some
mdelay(100) calls to slow things down.

There's also a "boot_delay=" parameter that supposedly slows down boot
printks.  I haven't had much luck with it myself, but "boot_delay=100"
or so might allow you to get more snapshots of the beginning of the
stacktrace.

Bjorn

View attachment "dmesg" of type "text/plain" (42083 bytes)

Download attachment "Ubuntu_maxcpus=1(1).JPG" of type "image/jpeg" (91772 bytes)