Date:	Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:55:02 -0400
From:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
To:	Junio C Hamano <gitster@...ox.com>
CC:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	git@...r.kernel.org,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com>,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)

On 10/31/2011 06:44 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin"<hpa@...or.com>  writes:
>
>> On 10/31/2011 03:30 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>>
>>> But if you do the normal "git pull git://git.kernel.org/name/of/repo"
>>> - which is how things happen as a result of a pull request - you won't
>>> get tags at all - you have to ask for them by name or use "--tags" to
>>> get them all.
>>>

>> Didn't realize that... I guess I'm too used to named remotes.
>>
>> If so, just using a tag should be fine, no?
>
> So nobody is worried about this (quoting from my earlier message)?
>
>     On the other hand, the consumers of "Linus kernel" may want to say that
>     they trust your tree and your tags because they can verify them with your
>     GPG signature, but also they can independently verify the lieutenants'
>     trees you pulled from are genuine.
>
> A signed emphemeral tag is usable as means to verify authenticity in a
> hop-by-hop fashion, but that does not leave a permanent trail that can be
> used for auditing.

The main worry is Linus ($human_who_pulls) gets
cryptographically-verified data at the time he pulls.  Once Linus
republishes his tree (git push), there will be few, if any, wanting to
verify Jeff Garzik's signature.

So no, I don't see that as a _driving_ need in the kernel's case.

And IMO the kernel will be a mix of signed and unsigned content for a
while, possibly forever.

And Linus wrote:
> [ Example gpg-signed small block that the attached patch adds to the
> pull request: ]

This is my preference for kernel pull requests at the moment.  That has
one advantage over Junio's "git pull --require-signature" and signed
commits, notably, the URL is signed.

But in general signed commits would be nice, too.  pull-generated merge
requests would need to be signed, potentially introducing an additional
interactive step (GPG passphrase request) into an automated process.

	Jeff