Date:	Tue, 15 Nov 2011 13:57:28 -0500
From:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>
To:	Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>
Cc:	Paul Bolle <pebolle@...cali.nl>, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...e.cz>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How to remove 2000+ lines from 400+ defconfig files?

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:39:51PM +0100, Michal Marek wrote:

 > >> The only ones I'd have objections to taking immediately are those which are
 > >> actually still referenced somewhere in the code.
 > >> For those, either taking them through appropriate maintainers, or having
 > >> their Acked-by would be required.
 > >
 > > I don't mind. That shouldn't be a lot of extra work for me.
 > >
 > > But, I do have a naive question: are defconfigs meant to be drop in
 > > replacements for .config files or is one supposed to first feed them to
 > > the config tools to generate an up to date .config?
 >
 > defconfig files are used as input of the conf program.

It seems to me that these files have always been very neglected.
Perhaps a better solution would be to have 'make defconfig' generate them itself.
This would mean adding addition 'default' parameters to a ton of
existing options, and possibly also some 'if CONFIG_$ARCH' magic, but
that sounds like it would be more future-proof, and would also serve
as better documentation. (As a distro kernel maintainer, the number of
times I've hit undocumented "enable this on arch x, but leave disabled on arch y" is annoying).

	Dave