Date:	Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:03:39 -0600
From:	Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...inger.net>
To:	Joerg Roedel <joerg.roedel@....com>
CC:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	USB list <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: nommu warning message

On 11/14/2011 05:42 AM, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 12:14:13PM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
>> For the driver rtl8192cu (a USB wireless device), the current
>> version loads the 15KB firmware asynchronously one 32-bit quantity
>> at a time. Although inefficient. this method works with USB 1.1 and
>> USB 2.0 adapters; however, it fails on at least one USB 3.0 adapter
>> with "xhci_hcd 0000:05:00.0: ERROR no room on ep ring" errors.
>>
>> These errors are believed to arise from small, fixed-size ep rings.
>> There is a vendor driver that works with that same hardware. The
>> major difference is that it uses synchronous block writes of 254
>> bytes. When I tried this with the in-kernel driver, each block write
>> yields a warning as shown below:
>>
>> nommu_map_single: overflow 41000340d020+254 of device mask ffffffff
>
> Strange. This means that your system uses the nommu DMA driver. But for
> your hardware the GART or SWIOTLB should be used.
>
> Even more strange is the address used for the device. I don't believe is
> is correct, otherwise your Laptop would have a very huge amount of RAM
> :)
>
> The I think there are two issues here: Why is your system using nommu
> and not GART? Can you check that GART and SWIOTLB are enabled in your
> kernel config? Second, why is your system using the wrong address? This
> looks like some kind of driver bug to mee.

My system has 3 GB of RAM installed, and it has both GART and SWIOTLB enabled.

Your comment about the strange address made me wonder if my driver was somehow
overrunning a buffer. Keeping the buffer size constant while reducing the
maximum block size by 10 bytes cleared the problem. Obviously, I there is some
buffer overhead that I had not considered.

Larry