Date:	Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:42:06 +0000
From:	Chris Boot <bootc@...tc.net>
To:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: igb + balance-rr + bridge + IPv6 = no go without promiscuous mode

Hi folks,

As per Eric Dumazet and Dave Miller, I'm opening up a separate thread on
this issue.

I have two identical servers in a cluster for running KVM virtual
machines. They each have a single connection to the Internet (irrelevant
for this) and two gigabit connections between each other for cluster
replication, etc... These two connections are in a balance-rr bonded
connection, which is itself member of a bridge that the VMs attach to.
I'm running v3.2-rc6-140-gb9e26df on Debian Wheezy.

When the bridge is brought up, IPv4 works fine but IPv6 does not. I can
use neither the automatic link-local on the bridge nor the static global
address I assign. Neither machine can perform neighbour discovery over
the link until I put the bond members (eth0 and eth1) into promiscuous
mode.  I can do this either with tcpdump or 'ip link set dev ethX
promisc on' and this is enough to make the link spring to life.

This cluster is not currently live so I can easily test patches and
various configurations.

The relevant parts of /etc/network/interfaces:

iface bond0 inet manual
         slaves eth0 eth1
         bond-mode balance-rr
         bond-miimon 100
         bond-downdelay 200
         bond-updelay 200

iface br0 inet static
         address [snip]
         netmask 255.255.255.224
         bridge_ports bond0
         bridge_stp off
         bridge_fd 0
         bridge_maxwait 5
iface br0 inet6 static
         address [snip]
         netmask 64

lspci:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit
Network Connection [8086:1521] (rev 01)
02:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit
Network Connection [8086:1521] (rev 01)

These use the 'igb' driver.

Thanks,
Chris