Date:	Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:04:48 -0800
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
Cc:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, linux-next@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 19:04:05 +1100
Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> In file included from include/trace/ftrace.h:567:0,
>                  from include/trace/define_trace.h:86,
>                  from include/trace/events/power.h:240,
>                  from kernel/trace/power-traces.c:14:
> include/trace/events/kmem.h: In function 'ftrace_test_probe_kmalloc':
> include/trace/events/kmem.h:45:1: error: implicit declaration of function 'check_trace_callback_type_kmalloc' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> include/trace/events/kmem.h: In function 'ftrace_test_probe_kmem_cache_alloc':

> include/trace/events/kmem.h:267:1: error: implicit declaration of function 'check_trace_callback_type_mm_page_alloc_extfrag' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> In file included from include/trace/ftrace.h:774:0,
>                  from include/trace/define_trace.h:86,
>                  from include/trace/events/power.h:240,
>                  from kernel/trace/power-traces.c:14:
> include/trace/events/kmem.h: In function 'perf_test_probe_mm_page_pcpu_drain':
> include/trace/events/kmem.h:256:1: error: implicit declaration of function 'check_trace_callback_type_mm_page_pcpu_drain' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>
> I have no idea what has gone wrong here, but I did not get this error
> yesterday.  The only thing that touched include/trace/events/kmem.h is
> patch "mm-tracepoint: rename page-free events" from the akpm tree, but
> that was there yesterday as well and doesn't look suspicious.

Yes, it's not due to anything in the akpm tree.  Tracing stuff blew up.

> I just have to leave things broken for today in the hope that someone
> figures something out.  This does not affect my X86_64 allmodconfig build
> or my PowerPC builds (including an allyesconfig build).

It fails with sparc64 defconfig but succeeds with sparc64 allmodconfig.
Some config-dependent thing.  3.2 is OK, so it's something in -next.

It could be that some far-off sparc64 Kconfig change is newly
triggering this.

I suppose I could get off my ass and actually work out why it broke,
but the tracing code is too icky.