Date:	Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:22:25 -0500
From:	Michael D Labriola <mlabriol@...b.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Kushal Koolwal <kushalkoolwal@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, michael.d.labriola@...il.com,
	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>, support@...salogic.com,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>, x86@...nel.org
Subject: Re: Reboot hangs on VersaLogic Ocelot

Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu> wrote on 01/17/2012 03:57:56 AM:

> From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
> To: Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>
> Cc: Michael D Labriola <mlabriol@...b.com>, "H. Peter Anvin"
> <hpa@...or.com>, Kushal Koolwal <kushalkoolwal@...il.com>, linux-
> kernel@...r.kernel.org, michael.d.labriola@...il.com,
> support@...salogic.com, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
x86@...nel.org
> Date: 01/17/2012 04:04 AM
> Subject: Re: Reboot hangs on VersaLogic Ocelot
>

> * Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:20:45PM -0500, Michael D Labriola wrote:
>
> > > Actually, assuming we fix the bios= argument ignored by DMI
> > > scan problem, would it be better to change the VersaLogic
> > > quirk to acpi even though it's not necessary right now?  If
> > > the default reboot method ever switches from acpi to kbd or
> > > bios, these boards will hang on reboot again...
> >
> > A lot of hardware relies on the acpi method being used. I
> > don't see us changing the default for x86 when booted via
> > BIOS.
>
> Yeah, i don't think we'll ever again switch away from ACPI being
> the default for currently existing hardware.
>
> (Far-)future hardware might have different defaults, but that
> won't affect hardware that exists today.
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Ingo

Ingo,

I sent the aforementioned patches last night using git-send-email... but
I'm not sure they went through correctly.  I got the email at my home
account, but not my work account, and they don't seem to be in the LKML
archives.  Did anyone get them?  I listed all the addresses on this
email's distro with separate --to and --cc arguments and tried to use an
appropriate In-Reply-To Message-Id when prompted, but maybe I messed it
up.

Also, how does the sign-off work?  Does the appropriate person (Matthew?)
review the patches and re-submit with a sign-off field?

---
Michael D Labriola
Electric Boat
mlabriol@...b.com