Date:	Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:20:56 +0100
From:	Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@...y.org>
To:	Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>
Cc:	Attila Kinali <attila@...ali.ch>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, util-linux@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: /etc/fstab.d yes or not

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 15:59, Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 03:43:09PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
>> Hence, i would like to ask you to consider not adding /etc/fstab.d
>> unless there is a very good reason to do it. And "to make it simpler
>> for people who have a lot of mountpoints" is IMHO not a good reason.
>> How many mountpoints must one use that a single file becomes a problem?
>
>  Let's imagine that you have a network and you use the same configuration
>  on all machines, then "*.d/" directories are very useful for you -- for
>  example you can create a company.rpm with important configuration and
>  distribute it to all machines.

Yeah, and all tools which read /etc/fstab with the glibc interface, to
find out the properties for the mount point, are just broken now. And
for what gain. Put a script in you RPM that merges your snippets into
the one fstab, and you get the same behaviour without any breakage.

Always remember, /etc/fstab is ABI, not a private config file, you
need a _very_ good reason to break it.

And you usually have not much problems convincing me that breakage is
justified. I just totally fail to see the benefit vs. gain in this
case.

Kay