Date:	Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:03:44 -0500
From:	Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
Cc:	Linux PM list <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Announce] linux-pm tree changes

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...k.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like you to know some workflow changes regarding the linux-pm tree.
>
> Since it's now possible to create signed tags for Linus to pull from, I won't
> need the 'pm-for-linus' branch any more and it's gone.  The 'pm-fixes' branch
> is gone too and replaced by the 'fixes' branch (which currently contains the
> same material as master).
>
> The idea is that the main development is going to happen in the 'master'
> branch, which is not going to be rebased and the Linus' tree will be merged
> into it from time to time (most of the time when the 'master' branch can be
> fast-forwarded to it).  The 'fixes' branch will be used for pushing urgent

Not sure what you have in mind for "from time to time", but random merges
without a clear reason (i.e. "merge Linus to get access to new files X Y Z")
are probably going to get you in hot water.

Also, once you stack on your 1st PM commit onto your master, none of
your future merges of Linus' tree will be fast forward.  Here is an
example, where I simulate a local change, followed by "time to time"
merges of Linus tree.  Note each creates a merge, not just the 1st one.

-----------------------------
linux-head$git checkout -b crap v3.1
Checking out files: 100% (17551/17551), done.
Switched to a new branch 'crap'
linux-head$echo foo > foo ; git add foo ; git commit -m '1st pm commit'
[crap 1675da3] 1st pm commit
 create mode 100644 foo
linux-head$git merge v3.2-rc1 2>&1 |grep 'Merge\|Fast'
Merge made by recursive.
linux-head$git merge v3.2-rc2 2>&1 |grep 'Merge\|Fast'
Merge made by recursive.
linux-head$git merge v3.2-rc3 2>&1 |grep 'Merge\|Fast'
Merge made by recursive.
linux-head$git show -m |head -n5
commit 3cbd041875960361ffde72612afadc6c68e94654 (from
6f6028bdbbc63dc71b408da8976f154a2e6a70ee)
Merge: 6f6028b caca6a0
Author: Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>
Date:   Wed Jan 25 13:45:55 2012 -0500
linux-head$

Having lots of these kinds of pointless merge commits are
what will most likely get you in hot water when you ask for
it to be pulled.

Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what your plan is.

Paul.
---