Date:	Thu, 26 Jan 2012 00:18:37 +0100
From:	Dave Taht <dave.taht@...il.com>
To:	Štefan Gula <steweg@...t.sk>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, jesse@...ira.com,
	joseph.glanville@...onvm.com.au, eric.dumazet@...il.com,
	kuznet@....inr.ac.ru, jmorris@...ei.org, yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org,
	kaber@...sh.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch v4, kernel version 3.2.1] net/ipv4/ip_gre: Ethernet
 multipoint GRE over IP

2012/1/25 Štefan Gula <steweg@...t.sk>:
> 2012/1/25 David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>:
>> From: Jesse Gross <jesse@...ira.com>
>> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:11:06 -0800

>>> I think it's actually the opposite - Open vSwitch can be used to
>>> implement this type of thing as well as for many other use cases.
>>
>> Then openvswitch is exactly where you should be prototyping and
>> implementing support for this sort of stuff.
>>
>> And only if you cannot obtain reasonable performance using openvswitch
>> should you be even entertaining the notion of a static implementation.
>>
>> That's the whole premise behind putting openvswitch into the tree, so
>> that guys like you can play around in userspace without having to make
>> any kernel changes at all.
>>
>> I am not applying these patches, the more things you say the more I am
>> convinced they are not appropriate.
>>
> The performance is one of the most critical thing why I have chosen to
> build kernel patch in the first place instead of some user-space app.

I am very interested in testing this patch, for the kinds of environments
I care about (embedded, cpe, etc)

but I won't be able to get around to it for a week or so.

I found the overall simplicity of this approach vs the
complexity of the alternatives, appealing, and the
performance numbers also.

--
Dave Täht
SKYPE: davetaht