Date:	Thu, 26 Jan 2012 23:23:04 +0000
From:	Russell King <rmk@....linux.org.uk>
To:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
Cc:	Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD <plagnioj@...osoft.com>,
	Nicolas Ferre <nicolas.ferre@...el.com>,
	linux-next@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-next: merge of the arm tree into the at91 tree

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:36:19AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> I noticed that the for-next branch of the arm tree has been merged into
> the at91 tree.  My understanding (and Russell, please correct me if I am
> wrong) is that the for-next branch is *not* stable and may be rebased.
> This will cause all sorts of problems in linux-next in the future (and
> also when Russell or the arm=soc guys merge the at91 tree into theirs).

And has already been rebuilt (I won't use 'rebased' because that's really
not what happens to it.)  I've already re-explained this to Nicolas.  It's
equivalent to someone basing their work off linux-next and expecting to
have that pulled into some other tree.

What's even worse is that Nicolas has published this as an official
branch for other people.

> In fact, I am going to have problems today as Russell has already rebase
> his for-next branch.  :-(

I suggest that you drop the at91 tree this time around if you get
conflicts.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: