Date:	Sun, 05 Feb 2012 10:36:06 -0600
From:	Anthony Liguori <anthony@...emonkey.ws>
To:	Gleb Natapov <gleb@...hat.com>
CC:	Avi Kivity <avi@...hat.com>,
	KVM list <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
	qemu-devel <qemu-devel@...gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Next gen kvm api

On 02/05/2012 03:51 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:44:43AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> So are we officially saying that KVM is only for modern guest
>>> virtualization?
>>
>> No, but older guests may have reduced performance in some workloads
>> (e.g. RHEL4 gettimeofday() intensive workloads).
>>
> Reduced performance is what I mean. Obviously old guests will continue working.

An interesting solution to this problem would be an in-kernel device VM.

Most of the time, the hot register is just one register within a more complex
device.  The reads are often side-effect free and trivially computed from some
device state + host time.

If userspace had a way to upload bytecode to the kernel that was executed for a
PIO operation, it could either pass the operation to userspace or handle it
within the kernel when possible without taking a heavy weight exit.

If the bytecode can access variables in a shared memory area, it could be pretty
efficient to work with.

This means that the kernel never has to deal with specific in-kernel devices but
that userspace can accelerator as many of its devices as it sees fit.

This could replace ioeventfd as a mechanism (which would allow clearing the
notify flag before writing to an eventfd).

We could potentially just use BPF for this.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori