Date:	Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:44:46 -0800
From:	Stephen Warren <swarren@...dia.com>
To:	Thomas Abraham <thomas.abraham@...aro.org>
CC:	Dong Aisheng <dongas86@...il.com>,
	Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@...aro.org>,
	Dong Aisheng-B29396 <B29396@...escale.com>,
	"Linus Walleij (linus.walleij@...aro.org)" <linus.walleij@...aro.org>,
	"Sascha Hauer (s.hauer@...gutronix.de)" <s.hauer@...gutronix.de>,
	"rob.herring@...xeda.com" <rob.herring@...xeda.com>,
	"kernel@...gutronix.de" <kernel@...gutronix.de>,
	"cjb@...top.org" <cjb@...top.org>,
	"Simon Glass (sjg@...omium.org)" <sjg@...omium.org>,
	"Grant Likely (grant.likely@...retlab.ca)"
	<grant.likely@...retlab.ca>,
	"ext Tony Lindgren (tony@...mide.com)" <tony@...mide.com>,
	"devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org"
	<devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: An extremely simplified pinctrl bindings proposal

On 02/05/2012 07:07 PM, Thomas Abraham wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On 4 February 2012 21:31, Stephen Warren <swarren@...dia.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I haven't had a chance to read any of the pincrl emails from
>> Friday onwards. However, I thought a bit more about this, and decided
>> to propose someting much simpler:
>>
>> Thoughts:
>>
>> * Defining all the pins, groups, functions, ... takes a lot of space,
>>  whether it's in static data in pinctrl drivers or in the device tree.
>>  The lists must also be stored in RAM at runtime.
>>
>> * It's been very difficult to come up with a generic description of all
>>  pin controller's capabilities. This is true even irrespective of device
>>  tree; think pin config where we've agonized over whether we can create
>>  a standardized list of pin config properties, or need to allow each
>>  pinctrl driver to define its own set of properties, etc.
>>
>> * The only real use of the lists is for debugfs. Drivers shouldn't expect
>>  to directly request specific pinctrl settings, since that would encode
>>  knowledge of an individual SoC's pin controller. This should be
>>  abstracted from drivers.
>>
>> * The data in debugfs could easily be replaced by a raw register dump
>>  coupled with a SoC-specific script to print out what each register
>>  means.
>>
>> My proposal below is to radically simplify the pinctrl subsystem, and
>> make it little more than a system to execute a list of arbitrary register
>> writes.
>
> Thanks for your work on pinctrl bindings proposal.
>
> With this new approach, how much of the pinctrl susbystem is used in
> device tree mode.

Probably not a lot of the actual implementation. I'd assume that the
APIs called by device drivers would remain constant, or roughly so, in
order to still provide a simple interface for drivers.

> Last time I had proposed something similar to this
> (http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=132697880016289&w=2), you were not
> happy about that approach since the pinctrl subsystem is largely
> under-utilized (http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=132735884622374&w=2),
> expect for providing a interface which individual
> pinctrl/pinmux/pinconfig drivers will use to implement a function that
> programs the hardware.

That's true.

AS LinusW says in his later reply, losing the semantic representation in
the pinctrl system is a pity, which is the main reasoning behind my
previous response. However, I'm beginning to lean towards the simplicity
of something like a list of register writes trumping the lack of semantics.

> There need not be pinmux/pinctrl/pinconfig bindings that are designed
> for the linux pinctrl subsystem. DT allows specifying the
> pinconfig/pinmux properties in a simple way, which was not possible in
> non-dt case and hence the pinctrl subsystem. Other OS'es which might
> not have a pinctrl subsystem, similar to what linux has, should also
> find the pinctrl bindings useful.

True.

I think that pinctrl in a non-DT system probably could do something like
this DT binding proposal though, so we need not have DT/non-DT work
differently.

--
nvpublic