Date:	Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:19:28 +0800
From:	Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>
To:	unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Fwd: Fine granularity page reclaim

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>
Date: Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: Fine granularity page reclaim
To: Konstantin Khlebnikov <khlebnikov@...nvz.org>
Cc: "linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>, linux-kernl@...r.kernel.org

Cc linux-kernel mailing list.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:20:05AM +0400, Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote:
> Zheng Liu wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Currently, we encounter a problem about page reclaim. In our product
> > system,
> >there is a lot of applictions that manipulate a number of files. In these
> >files, they can be divided into two categories. One is index file,
> > another is
> >block file. The number of index files is about 15,000, and the number of
> >block files is about 23,000 in a 2TB disk. The application accesses index
> >file using mmap(2), and read/write block file using pread(2)/pwrite(2).
> > We hope
> >to hold index file in memory as much as possible, and it works well in
> > Redhat
> >2.6.18-164. It is about 60-70% of index files that can be hold in memory.
> >However, it doesn't work well in Redhat 2.6.32-133. I know in 2.6.18 that
> > the
> >linux uses an active list and an inactive list to handle page reclaim,
> > and in
> >2.6.32 that they are divided into anonymous list and file list. So I am
> >curious about why most of index files can be hold in 2.6.18? The index
> > file
> >should be replaced because mmap doesn't impact the lru list.
>
> There was my patch for fixing similar problem with shared/executable
> mapped pages
> "vmscan: promote shared file mapped pages" commit 34dbc67a644f and commit
> c909e99364c
> maybe it will help in your case.

Hi Konstantin,

Thank you for your reply.  I have tested it in upstream kernel.  These
patches are useful for multi-processes applications.  But, in our product
system, there are some applications that are multi-thread.  So
'references_ptes > 1' cannot help these applications to hold the data in
memory.

Regards,
Zheng