Date:	Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:38:05 -0600
From:	Gerard Saraber <gsaraber@...il.com>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, xfs@....sgi.com
Subject: Re: Soft lockup problem

Hi everyone,
It finally did it again, it took longer then I expected, it also
locked itself up so bad that I couldn't get into it to hit
ctrl+alt+sysrq+w ..
I had turned on the debugging feature that automatically logs the hung
tasks, and I've attached the log below, I hope it's helpful.

I was running 3.2.4 from kernel.org on a 4 core Xeon machine:
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5140  @ 2.33GHz

6GB Ram

2x Intel 80003ES2LAN Gigabit Ethernet Controllers bonded together
2 LSI SAS controllers:
08:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E
PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
0a:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS
2008 [Falcon] (rev 03)

16  drives in a mix of 2 and 3TB, in 3 raid5 arrays and combined
together with LVM
/dev/mapper/pool-main   23T   12T   11T  52%
for a 23TB volume formatted with XFS.

The root partition is ext4 on an older SATA drive, the reason I bring
this up is that when I hit (on a whim) ctrl+sysrq+J that is supposed
to unfreeze frozen filesystems, the console started dumping lots of
messages about attempting to unfreeze /dev/sda3 [my root partition] so
maybe there's a problem with my sda drive.
But I get no i/o or other errors in my logs at all. I monitor all
drives with smartd to head off any drive failures before they happen
and it seems to think sda is fine.

Hopefully my attached log helps.
I appreciate any input, also please call me an idiot if I'm missing
something obvious.

-Gerard Saraber

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz> wrote:
> On Tue 07-02-12 10:35:37, Gerard Saraber wrote:

>> >  Hmm, might be some deadlock in the filesystem. Adding XFS guys to CC.
>> > Can you run 'echo w >/proc/sysrq-trigger' and post output of dmesg here?
>> >
>> >                                                                Honza
>> > --
>> > Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
>> > SUSE Labs, CR
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply,
>> the machine is running good at the moment so I'm not sure if the
>> output helps, but here it is:
>> [I'll also be sure to grab this log the next time it locks]
>  Yeah. Sorry, I was not clear but I meant you should grab the traces when
> the machine locks up again...
>                                                                Honza
>
> --
> Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
> SUSE Labs, CR

View attachment "hlog.txt" of type "text/plain" (17943 bytes)