Date:	Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:46:44 -0400
From:	Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@...cle.com>
To:	Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@...cle.com>
Cc:	Avi Kivity <avi@...hat.com>,
	Akshay Karle <akshay.a.karle@...il.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
	ashu tripathi <er.ashutripathi@...il.com>,
	nishant gulhane <nishant.s.gulhane@...il.com>,
	amarmore2006 <amarmore2006@...il.com>,
	Shreyas Mahure <shreyas.mahure@...il.com>,
	mahesh mohan <mahesh6490@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] kvm: Transcendent Memory (tmem) on KVM

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:36:48PM -0700, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> [...]

Dan, please stop this.

The frontswap work is going through me and my goal is to provide
the batching and asynchronous option. It might take longer than
anticipated b/c it might require redoing some of the code - that
is OK. We can do this in steps too - first do the synchronous
(as is right now in implementation) and then add on the batching
and asynchrnous work. This means breaking the ABI/API, and I believe
Avi would like the ABI be as much baked as possible so that he does
not have to provide a v2 (or v3) of the tmem support in KVM.

I appreciate you having done that in RAMster but the "transmit"
option is what we need to batch. Think of Scatter Gather DMA.

> That said, I still think it remains to be proven that
> reducing the number of hypercalls by 2x or 3x (or whatever
> the batching factor you choose) will make a noticeable

I was thinking 32 - about the same number that we do in
Xen with PV MMU upcalls. We also batch it there with multicalls.