Date:	Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:16:38 +0200
From:	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>
To:	Stefan Richter <stefanr@...6.in-berlin.de>
Cc:	Matthew Garrett <mjg@...hat.com>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: PCIe ASPM: new Kconfig prompt without help text

On Mar 25 Stefan Richter wrote:
> > $ make oldconfig
> >     PCI Express ASPM control (PCIEASPM) [Y/?] y
> >       Debug PCI Express ASPM (PCIEASPM_DEBUG) [N/y/?] n
> >       Default ASPM policy
> >       > 1. BIOS default (PCIEASPM_DEFAULT) (NEW)
> >         2. Powersave (PCIEASPM_POWERSAVE) (NEW)
> >         3. Performance (PCIEASPM_PERFORMANCE) (NEW)
> >       choice[1-3]: ?
> >
> > There is no help available for this option.
>
> Choices, choices.  Can we get a little explanation here what option should
> be chosen in which environments?

I am noticing now that there are actually brief help texts at each option,
and "make xconfig" for example is able to show them (and that
PCIEASPM_DEFAULT is suggested as default value in xconfig).  But the "make
oldconfig" case is evidently left out in the cold WRT meaning of the
choices and which one should be preferred if in doubt.
--
Stefan Richter