Date:	Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:18:31 +0000
From:	"Tu, Xiaobing" <xiaobing.tu@...el.com>
To:	"'akpm@...ux-foundation.org'" <'akpm@...ux-foundation.org'>,
	"'mingo@...e.hu'" <'mingo@...e.hu'>,
	"'rusty@...tcorp.com.au'" <'rusty@...tcorp.com.au'>,
	"'a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl'" <'a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl'>,
	"'linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org'" <'linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org'>,
	"'yanmin_zhang@...ux.intel.com'" <'yanmin_zhang@...ux.intel.com'>,
	"'rostedt@...dmis.org'" <'rostedt@...dmis.org'>
CC:	"Zuo, Jiao" <jiao.zuo@...el.com>
Subject: [RFC 0/2] dump user space stack

Resend as linux-kernel kicked it back.

From: Tu, Xiaobing
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:07 PM
To: 'akpm@...ux-foundation.org'; 'mingo@...e.hu'; 'rusty@...tcorp.com.au'; 'a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl'; 'linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org'; 'yanmin_zhang@...ux.intel.com'; 'rostedt@...dmis.org'
Cc: Zuo, Jiao

  We often need user space stack call-chain information when debugging hard issues. Here is a prototype and it could work well on X86 architecture.
         The idea is to output user space stack call-chain from /proc/xxx/stack, currently, /proc/xxx/stack only output kernel stack call chain. We extend it to output user space call chain
With hex format.
    In user space, we implement a backtrace tool, it read kernel space and user space stack call chain from /proc/xxx/stack, and converts the hex format into symbols., we tested it on i386/i686 and x86-64. It works well.

Br
Xiaobing