Date:	Sat, 14 Apr 2012 06:36:12 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <ben@...adent.org.uk>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
	Madhan Jaganathan <madhanj@....qualcomm.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stable@...r.kernel.org,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk, Paul Stewart <pstew@...gle.com>,
	Gary Morain <gmorain@...gle.com>,
	Rajkumar Manoharan <rmanohar@....qualcomm.com>,
	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>
Subject: Re: [ 31/78] ath9k: fix max noise floor threshold

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 16:10 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> 3.3-stable review patch.  If anyone has any objections, please let me know.
>
> ------------------
>
> From: Rajkumar Manoharan <rmanohar@....qualcomm.com>
>
> commit 2ee0a07028d2cde6e131b73f029dae2b93c50f3a upstream.
>
> Currently the maximum noise floor limit is set as too high (-60dB). The
> assumption of having a higher threshold limit is that it would help
> de-sensitize the receiver (reduce phy errors) from continuous
> interference. But when we have a bursty interference where there are
> collisions and then free air time and if the receiver is desensitized too
> much, it will miss the normal packets too. Lets make use of chips
> specific min, nom and max limits always. This patch helps to improve the
> connection stability in congested networks.
[...]

It looks like this is also applicable to 3.0 and 3.2, but the debug
logging statement changed between 3.2 and 3.3 and stopped this from
applying directly.  Attaching an (untested) backport.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.

View attachment "0001-ath9k-fix-max-noise-floor-threshold.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (2193 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (829 bytes)