Date:	Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:09:32 -0400
From:	Don Dutile <ddutile@...hat.com>
To:	Yinghai Lu <yinghai@...nel.org>
CC:	Richard Yang <weiyang@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	linux-pci@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: One problem in reassign pci bus number?

On 04/23/2012 04:19 PM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Don Dutile<ddutile@...hat.com>  wrote:
>> I have run into a similar problem recently when trying to use
>> pci=assign-busses
>> with an SRIOV device behind a non-ARI-capable PCIe switch.
>> In this scenario, the assign-busses code assigned the next bus number,
>> which conflicted with an existing one on the system, and hangs the
>> system -- two bridges responding to the same PCI bus num evidently
>> confuses the hw! ;-)
>
> can you post boot log and lspci -vvxxx?
>
> Yinghai

Attached requested logs of linux-3.4-rc2 booted on RHEL6.2 installation.

I don't have a boot log of failing condition (pci=assign-devices)
b/c it wedges at boot, and the serial line doesn't output anything
even though I've tried every magic trick known with grub & kernel boot params.
... the PCI log btwn early boot and until the console is reconfigured is 'lost'
on the serial line, and that's when the hang occurs.
It's been 'fun' to debug w/o that serial output...

Let me know if you need something else. (lspci -t ?)

View attachment "dmesg-linux-3dot4dot0-rc2.log" of type "text/plain" (65308 bytes)

View attachment "lspci-vvxxx-linux-3dot4dot0-rc2.log" of type "text/plain" (128346 bytes)