Date:	Sun, 6 May 2012 23:17:15 +0800
From:	Richard Yang <weiyang@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Yinghai Lu <yinghai@...nel.org>
Cc:	Richard Yang <weiyang@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Wei Yang <weiyang.kernel@...il.com>, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: One problem in reassign pci bus number?

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 10:37:08AM -0700, Yinghai Lu wrote:
>On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Richard Yang <weiyang@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>>
>> BTW, even if this value is returned by __find_res_top_free_size(), or
>> returned after this function is called, the purpose of the
>> __find_res_top_free_size() is to get the biggest free space under the
>> first parameter?
>
>__find_res_top_free_size() is used to get size just under top,  and
>then use it to calculate size above top that need to be extended.
>
>at last will combine free size under top and allocated size above top
>and return.
Yes, I get the general idea.

then I want to confirm which size __find_res_top_free_size() will return.

Come to the previous question, for one resource like this.
res =   90-150
    ->child      105-140
We call __find_res_top_free_size(res, 1);
This function should return which size?  10? 15? or 25?

>From the code
+               ret = __allocate_resource(res, &tmp_res, n_size,
+                       res->end - n_size + skip_nr, res->end,
+                       1, NULL, NULL, false);
I think it will check the free space near the end of res.

I did one test on __find_res_top_free_size(res, 1) of this example.
And returned 10. Which means, it find the free space (141-150).

So I want to confirm this function really returns the size of free space
at the end of the res. not the biggest one or the sum.

--
Richard Yang
Help you, Help me