Date:	Tue, 22 May 2012 13:35:13 +0530
From:	Srikar Dronamraju <srikar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	mingo@...hat.com, a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, peterz@...radead.org,
	anton@...hat.com, rostedt@...dmis.org, tglx@...utronix.de,
	oleg@...hat.com, linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	hpa@...or.com, jkenisto@...ibm.com, andi@...stfloor.org,
	hch@...radead.org, ananth@...ibm.com, vda.linux@...glemail.com,
	masami.hiramatsu.pt@...achi.com, acme@...radead.org,
	sfr@...b.auug.org.au, roland@...k.frob.com, mingo@...e.hu,
	linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [tip:perf/uprobes] uprobes, mm, x86: Add the ability to
 install and remove uprobes breakpoints

> static void unmap_single_vma(struct mmu_gather *tlb,
> 		struct vm_area_struct *vma, unsigned long start_addr,
> 		unsigned long end_addr,
> 		struct zap_details *details)
> {
> 	unsigned long start = max(vma->vm_start, start_addr);
> 	unsigned long end;
>
> 	if (start >= vma->vm_end)
> 		return;
> 	end = min(vma->vm_end, end_addr);
> 	if (end <= vma->vm_start)
> 		return;
>
> <<<<<<< HEAD
> =======
> 	if (vma->vm_file)
> 		uprobe_munmap(vma, start, end);
>
> 	if (vma->vm_flags & VM_ACCOUNT)
> 		*nr_accounted += (end - start) >> PAGE_SHIFT;

> 	if (unlikely(is_pfn_mapping(vma)))
> 		untrack_pfn_vma(vma, 0, 0);
>

> It made me look at uprobes.  Noticed a few things...

I have responded to why I had to add a callback in unmap_single_vma in
response to Linus.

> > +static struct rb_root uprobes_tree = RB_ROOT;
> > +static DEFINE_SPINLOCK(uprobes_treelock);	/* serialize rbtree access */
> > +
> > +#define UPROBES_HASH_SZ	13
> > +/* serialize (un)register */
> > +static struct mutex uprobes_mutex[UPROBES_HASH_SZ];
> > +#define uprobes_hash(v)	(&uprobes_mutex[((unsigned long)(v)) %\
> > +						UPROBES_HASH_SZ])
> > +
> > +/* serialize uprobe->pending_list */
> > +static struct mutex uprobes_mmap_mutex[UPROBES_HASH_SZ];
> > +#define uprobes_mmap_hash(v)	(&uprobes_mmap_mutex[((unsigned long)(v)) %\
> > +						UPROBES_HASH_SZ])
>
> Presumably these locks were hashed for scalability reasons?

Yes,

uprobe_mmap_mutex is taken on every mmap/munmap operation.
Since we do a per file operation per mm operation, (walk thro the rmap and
insert/remove breakpoints), we looked at using i_mutex. However
Christoph wasnt happy to overload the usage of i_mutex. He suggested two
options,
1. adding another mutex in the inode structure
2. adding global hash locks. (which he recommended)

Adding a mutex in the inode structure, is a overkill.
But having just one mutex to guard all uprobe_mmap is a contention on
different mmaps.  So we narrowed down to a hash mutex.

> If so, this won't be terribly effective when we have multiple mutexes
> occupying a single cacheline - the array entries should be padded out.
> Of course, that's all a complete waste of space on uniprocessor
> machines, but nobody seems to think of that any more ;(

Okay, I agree that having each mutex in a different cacheline helps.
If everyone agrees to this, I will have a addon patch that will move the
mutexes.

> There was no need to code the accessor functions as macros.  It is, as
> always, better to use a nice C function which takes an argument which
> is as strictly typed as possible.  ie, it *could* take a void*, but it
> would be better if it required an inode*.

I will add this change as part of the add-on patch.

> > +static int read_opcode(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long vaddr,
> > +						uprobe_opcode_t *opcode)
> > +{

[.....]

> > +	vaddr_new = kmap_atomic(page);
> > +	vaddr &= ~PAGE_MASK;
> > +	memcpy(opcode, vaddr_new + vaddr, uprobe_opcode_sz);
> > +	kunmap_atomic(vaddr_new);
>
> This is modifying user memory?  flush_dcache_page() needed?  Or perhaps
> we will need different primitives to diddle the instruction memory on
> architectures which care.

Here, we are just reading from the user memory,
The part where we insert/remove the breakpoint (write_opcode) does the flush.

> > +int mmap_uprobe(struct vm_area_struct *vma)
> > +{
> > +	struct list_head tmp_list;
> > +	struct uprobe *uprobe, *u;
> > +	struct inode *inode;
> > +	int ret = 0;
> > +
> > +	if (!atomic_read(&uprobe_events) || !valid_vma(vma, true))
> > +		return ret;	/* Bail-out */
> > +
> > +	inode = vma->vm_file->f_mapping->host;
> > +	if (!inode)
> > +		return ret;
> > +
> > +	INIT_LIST_HEAD(&tmp_list);
> > +	mutex_lock(uprobes_mmap_hash(inode));
> > +	build_probe_list(inode, &tmp_list);
> > +	list_for_each_entry_safe(uprobe, u, &tmp_list, pending_list) {
> > +		loff_t vaddr;
> > +
> > +		list_del(&uprobe->pending_list);
> > +		if (!ret) {
> > +			vaddr = vma_address(vma, uprobe->offset);
> > +			if (vaddr < vma->vm_start || vaddr >= vma->vm_end) {
> > +				put_uprobe(uprobe);
> > +				continue;
> > +			}
> > +			ret = install_breakpoint(vma->vm_mm, uprobe, vma,
> > +								vaddr);
> > +			if (ret == -EEXIST)
> > +				ret = 0;
>
> This now has the comment "Ignore double add:".  That is a poor
> comment, because it doesn't tell us *why* a double-add is ignored.

We actually dont ignore the "Double-add".

install_breakpoint() has comments on when we return EEXIST.

uprobe_mmap() has comments on why EEXIST should be considered successful
as part of commit  682968e0 (uprobes/core: Optimize probe hits with the
help of a counter) which is

/*
 * Unable to insert a breakpoint, but
 * breakpoint lies underneath. Increment the
 * probe count
 */

i.e insert_breakpoint() needs to insert a breakpoint, but if a
breakpoint is already there, then it doesnt need to do anything.

I will go ahead and remove the "Ignore double-add" comment.

--
thanks and regards
Srikar