Date:	Fri, 8 Jun 2012 13:13:30 +0300
From:	Brian Gitonga Marete <marete@...hnix.com>
To:	Jerome Glisse <j.glisse@...il.com>
Cc:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	David Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>,
	Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>,
	Jerome Glisse <jglisse@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [Regression] [Radeon] Stream command failures and render problems
 in Evergreen (Radeon HD 5600) in kernel 3.4

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Brian Gitonga Marete
<marete@...hnix.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Brian Gitonga Marete
> <marete@...hnix.com> wrote:

>>> What happen if you upgrade to xf86-video-ati from git ?
>>
>> Hello Jerome,
>>
>> Once again, thanks a lot for your help.
>>
>> Some progress but also a setback: Upgrading to the latest
>> xf86-video-ati git gets rid of the stream command failures - No more
>> error messages in dmesg(8). But then, now, rendering is completely
>> messed up. Previously, it was mostly the window boundaries that were
>> blurred/messed but now also entire windows and text so that you can't
>> read anything from the desktop. (For example, the previous render
>> problems would still allow me to use gnome-terminal even though its
>> frames were completely blurred. Now the text withing gnome-terminal is
>> also blurred/smudged)
>>

> I should add that in this case rendering is completely messed up in
> _both_ 3.3.x and 3.4. But the stream command failures in 3.4 go away
> upon upgrading to the latext xf86-video-ati git HEAD.

Ok. All is fixed in kernel v3.4 if I additionally upgrade Mesa to the
latest git. Jerome, many thanks for your help on this!

So to summarize, the 3.4 breakage in Ubuntu 11.04 (and probably other
distributions released around the same time) is fixed by:

a) Upgrade libdrm to latest GIT as of this writing (93a5117d5)
b) Upgrade xf86-video-ati to latest GIT as of this writing (5888371)
c) Upgrade mesa to latest GIT as of this writing (529476b)

Now kernel 3.4 works on my laptop.

Thanks!

BGM.