Date:	Fri, 8 Jun 2012 03:18:09 +0100
From:	Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>
To:	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@...e.cz>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	"J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@...hat.com>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	Sage Weil <sage@...dream.net>
Subject: Re: processes hung after sys_renameat, and 'missing' processes

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 08:36:07PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:

> Other callers of d_move():
> 	* debugfs_rename() - imitates what vfs_rename() is doing.  Same
> locking environment.  BTW,
>         trap = lock_rename(new_dir, old_dir);
>         /* Source or destination directories don't exist? */
>         if (!old_dir->d_inode || !new_dir->d_inode)
>                 goto exit;
> is bogus - lock_rename() is taking ->i_mutex on these inodes, for fsck sake!
> If this can be called with old_dir or new_dir negative, it's buggered.

It's worse, actually.  If we _ever_ do cross-directory debugfs_rename()
without external serialization, we are in trouble.  It does imitate
vfs_rename() (actually - its callers), but there's an unpleasant difference:
instead of "lock parents with lock_rename(), then do lookups and we are
guaranteed nobody will change ->d_parent of children we are working with"
it's "lock the new parent and whatever happens to be the current parent
of the object given to us; do lookup for target, pray that the old parent
still was the parent of our object by the time we got the locks".

AFAICS, there's only one caller doing cross-directory moves (__clk_reparent())
and currently all callers are serialized by a mutex in there, but that's
not documented anywhere - not for __clk_reparent(), not for debugfs_rename().