Date:	Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:52:11 +0300
From:	Dor Laor <dlaor@...hat.com>
To:	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
CC:	Dmitry Torokhov <dtor@...are.com>, Andy King <acking@...are.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org, dsouders@...are.com,
	"Andrew Stiegmann (stieg)" <astiegmann@...are.com>,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, cschamp@...are.com
Subject: Re: [vmw_vmci RFC 00/11] VMCI for Linux

On 06/06/2012 08:06 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 12:02:51AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>> Hi Greg,

>>> What "hardware" are you refering to here?
>>
>> The virtual hardware that is currently shipping and has been shipping
>> for a few years.

>>> Not really, why should we take an interface that is tied to something
>>> that you are saying isn't something we should be using?
>>
>> That is not what Andy said. If virtio was available when we started
>> shipping VMCI then we certainly could have used that, but since it
>> wasn't there we invented something else.
>
> Ok, that makes sense.
>
>>> Don't you also
>>> have control over the hypervisor side of things in order to properly
>>> design this type of thing?
>>
>> We do not have a time machine to go back and change products that we
>> already shipped to the customers. It is probably the same story as with
>> Hyper-V's vmbus which is not virtio.
>>
>> Besides, virtio is not available on non-Linux guests with we have to
>> support as well, and than affected the design decisions in hypervisor
>> layer that have been made several years ago.

Indeed there is no time machine and I definitely agree you won't be able
to port VMCI to virtio-serial w/o major breakage for existing users.

Nevertheless, as I wrote on my previous feedback [1], you can make the
VMCI socket generic in a way that virtio-serial users would be able to
enjoy. This way VMW users will get out of the box experience w/o any
change while KVM users will get socket abstraction layer which carry
some benefit over the virtio-serial ports.

Dor

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/5/16/126