Date:	Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:58:58 +0200
From:	Martin Steigerwald <Martin@...htvoll.de>
To:	jdow <jdow@...thlink.net>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>,
	linux-m68k@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Partitions: Amiga RDB partition on 2 TB disk way too big, while OK in AmigaOS 4.1

Am Sonntag, 17. Juni 2012 schrieb jdow:
> I'll have to make time to look it over, considering I am more or less
> the mommy of the RDBs. Now, 2TB may be a tad beyond the abilities of
> the RDBs to express. Memory insists that the RDBs worked on either
> BYTE or block counts. Your seeing a problem at 2TB suggests it really
> stored bit counts. The numbers are supposed to be unsigned. And whether
> the RDBs store values in blocks or BYTEs is immaterial when you get
> down to it. (The RDBs do store the disk's actual and virtual block
> sizes. The latter is what the filesystem uses.)

Hmmm, I thought any 2 TB limit was gone meanwhile, but then your
argumentation has some merit.

Some hints that it might be gone nonetheless:

| JXFS 64 bit file system
|
| With AmigaOS 4.x a new file system has been introduced called JXFS. It is
| a totally new 64 bit file system that supports partitions up to 16 TB in
| size. It is a modern journalling file system, which means that it reduces
| data loss if data writes to the disk are interrupted. It is the fastest
| and most reliable file system ever created for AmigaOS.

http://www.amigaos.net/content/1/features

Well I asked AmigaOS 4 developers about this issue as well. Lets see what
they say about 2 TB limits.

But nonetheless, I think, Linux should refuse to use a partition that is
clearly out of bound.

Scrubbing the one backup BTRFS that has 360 GiB of data was okay. Also the
fsckĀ“s went well. Well the volume group is not completely full so some
space on the end of the disk is not yet used by it.

I am recreating all my backups on BTRFS volumes now - except maybe the one
thats on the BTRFS volume already and scrubs okay.

Ciao,