Date:	Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:06:02 +0200
From:	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>
To:	Kay Sievers <kay@...y.org>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Greg Kroah-Hartmann <greg@...ah.com>,
	Lennart Poettering <lennart@...ttering.net>
Subject: Re: cosmetic printk() issue with lockdep warning in
 arch/x86/kernel/alternative.c

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 12:49 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> All we want is a reliable printk

We too, but we define reliable differently. I want printk() to dump data
ASAP so that it has better chance to get out of the system and onto my
console in case of a crash. I don't give a rats arse about interleaved
text, any text is better than no text.

So if you go add separate buffers in there that will delay writing text,
you're actively destroying printk().

Any change that makes it harder to get text out is bad.