Date:	Mon, 09 Jul 2012 21:01:09 -0400
From:	Joseph Salisbury <joseph.salisbury@...onical.com>
To:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
CC:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Mark Brown <broonie@...nsource.wolfsonmicro.com>,
	Liam Girdwood <lrg@...com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] sound updates for 3.5-rc1

On 05/23/2012 05:25 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Linus,
>
> please pull the first sound updates for v3.5-rc1 from:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git sound-3.5
>
> The topmost commit is 85e184e4c3cd3e2285ceab91ff8f0cac094e8a85
>
> Note that the pull to the current your tree will give some trivial
> conflicts in regmap, sound/soc/imx and sound/soc/mxs.
>
> This is the first big chunk of sound updates for 3.5-rc1 merge.
> There are a few big changes in different areas.  First off, the
> streaming logic of USB-audio endpoints has been largely rewritten
> for the better support of "implicit feedback".  If anything about USB
> got broken, this change has to be checked.
>
> For HD-audio, the resume procedure was changed; instead of delaying
> the resume of the hardware until the first use, now waking up immediately
> at resume.  This is for buggy BIOS.
>
> For ASoC, dynamic PCM support and the improved support for digital links
> between off-SoC devices are major framework changes.
>
> Some highlights below:
>
> * HD-audio
> - Avoid the accesses of invalid pin-control bits that may stall the codec
> - V-ref setup cleanups
> - Fix the races in power-saving code
> - Fix the races in codec cache hashes and connection lists
> - Split some common codes for BIOS auto-parser to hda_auto_parser.c
> - Changed the PM resume code to wake up immediately for buggy BIOS
> - Creative SoundCore3D support
> - Add Conexant CX20751/2/3/4 codec support
>
> * ASoC
> - Dynamic PCM support, allowing support for SoCs with internal routing
>   through components with tight sequencing and formatting constraints
>   within their internal paths or where there are multiple components
>   connected with CPU managed DMA controllers inside the SoC.
> - Greatly improved support for direct digital links between off-SoC
>   devices, providing a much simpler way of connecting things like digital
>   basebands to CODECs.
> - Much more fine grained and robust locking, cleaning up some of the
>   confusion that crept in with multi-component.
> - CPU support for nVidia Tegra 30 I2S and audio hub controllers and
>   ST-Ericsson MSP I2S controolers
> - New CODEC drivers for Cirrus CS42L52, LAPIS Semiconductor ML26124, Texas
>   Instruments LM49453.
> - Some regmap changes needed by the Tegra I2S driver.
> - mc13783 audio support.
>
> * Misc
> - Rewrite with module_pci_driver()
> - Xonar DGX support for snd-oxygen
> - Improvement of packet handling in snd-firewire driver
> - New USB-endpoint streaming logic
> - Enhanced M-audio FTU quirks and relevant cleanups
> - Increment the support of OSS devices to 256
> - snd-aloop accuracy improvement
>
> There are a few more pending changes for 3.5, but they will be
> sent later (likely in the next week) after DRM changes are merged,
> as they depend on VGA-switcheroo changes.
>
> Thanks!

> [...]

Hello,

Some users are hitting a bug reported in bugzilla[0] and launchpad[1].
The bug was introduced in v3.5-rc1, which is preventing some Logitech
webcams from working.  I bisected down to the following commit as the
cause of the regression:

edcd3633e72a1590c4cf46befe5e6cd03b5aec3e - ALSA: snd-usb: switch over to
new endpoint streaming logic

However, the logic that caused this regression is in the following commit:
 8fdff6a319e7dac757c558bd283dc4577e68cde7 - ALSA: snd-usb: implement new
endpoint streaming model

The following commit is also involved:
d399ff9593e088d33fb38f5206c6427825892baa - ALSA: snd-usb: remove old
streaming
logic

This last commit just removes the obsolete unused code, which was
causing a kernel compile error.

I'll see if a revert is possible, but any other suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

[0] https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44281