Date:	Wed, 11 Jul 2012 07:00:19 -0700
From:	Kevin Hilman <khilman@...com>
To:	Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org>
Cc:	Colin Cross <ccross@...roid.com>, Rob Lee <rob.lee@...aro.org>,
	Lists Linaro-dev <linaro-dev@...ts.linaro.org>,
	Peter De Schrijver <pdeschrijver@...dia.com>,
	Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@...aro.org>,
	linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, linux-next@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
Subject: Re: [linux-pm] cpuidle future and improvements

Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org> writes:

> On 06/18/2012 08:15 PM, Colin Cross wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Daniel Lezcano
>> <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org> wrote:
>>> I propose to host a cpuidle-next tree where all these modifications will
>>> be and where people can send patches against, preventing last minutes
>>> conflicts and perhaps Lenb will agree to pull from this tree. In the
>>> meantime, the tree will be part of the linux-next, the patches will be
>>> more widely tested and could be fixed earlier.
>>
>> My coupled cpuidle patches were acked and temporarily in Len's
>> next/Linus pull branch, but were later dropped when the first pull
>> request to Linus was rejected.  I asked Len to either put the coupled
>> cpuidle patches into his next branch, or let me host them so people
>> could base SoC branches off of them and let Len pull them later, but
>> got no response.  If you do start a cpuidle for-next branch, can you
>> pull my coupled-cpuidle branch:
>>
>> The following changes since commit 76e10d158efb6d4516018846f60c2ab5501900bc:
>>
>>   Linux 3.4 (2012-05-20 15:29:13 -0700)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>   https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common.git coupled-cpuidle
>>
>> Colin Cross (4):
>>       cpuidle: refactor out cpuidle_enter_state
>>       cpuidle: fix error handling in __cpuidle_register_device
>>       cpuidle: add support for states that affect multiple cpus
>>       cpuidle: coupled: add parallel barrier function
>>
>>  drivers/cpuidle/Kconfig   |    3 +
>>  drivers/cpuidle/Makefile  |    1 +
>>  drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c |  715 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.c |   68 ++++-
>>  drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.h |   32 ++
>>  include/linux/cpuidle.h   |   11 +
>>  create mode 100644 drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c
>

> Done.
>
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cpuidle-next

Great!

Daniel, thanks for tracking this.  Are you planning to submit a pull
request to Rafael so we finally can get this into linux-next and merged
for v3.6?

Looks like there will be a slight problem to sort out though.  Len's
'next' branch[1] is already included in linux-next and as some version
of the coupled CPUidle already merged.

I hope we can sort this out in time for v3.6 because this series has
been well reviewed, well tested and ready for merge since before the
v3.5 merge window.

Kevin

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux next