Date:	Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:49:45 -0400
From:	"werner" <w.landgraf@...ru>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mjt@....msk.ru

Since years I use the same routine for compile / link /
package the kernel.  Until now, rdev gave and wrote always
the boot device in the form /dev/...  , not as the bios
number. This problem starts now only. So I suppose there
was anything changed, either on the kernel or in one of
the kernel-near basic routines (such as, rdev itself)

I agree that the bios device numbers are not good for
identify installations or devices, as they can change, if
one change the BIOS boot order, or if one only change via
F12 the actual boot order, or even if one stick in an usb
key before booting; specially it changes after one install
Linux from an USB key.   Just because of this I use the
/dev/... names for lilo and for the kernel command line.

rdev may be obsolete, but it's one of the oldest functions
and used in many install systems, so that for
compatibility it should be kept, nor be changed.

---
Professional hosting for everyone - http://www.host.ru