Date:	Wed, 1 Aug 2012 08:50:24 +0200
From:	Karl Beldan <karl.beldan@...il.com>
To:	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>
Cc:	linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: About dma_sync_single_for_{cpu,device}

On 7/31/12, Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 09:31:13PM +0200, Karl Beldan wrote:
>> >

>> Hi Russell,
>>

>> > First point is that you clearly do not understand the DMA API at all.
>> > The
>> > DMA API has the idea of buffer ownership.  Only the owner may access
>> > the
>> > buffer:
>> >
>> Are you saying that this scenario does not work ?
>> We are taking some liberties with the DMA API, we're more using some
>> of its funcs rather than _using_ it ;).
>> The question was not whether this was a proper usage of the API, but
>> why that scenario would not lead to the expected results .. and now
>> I've found the culprit peek I am happy.
>
> If you abuse the API don't expect your stuff to work in future kernel
> versions.

Of course.

> It seems that the overall tone of your reply is "what we have now works,
> we don't care if it's correct, sod you."

Not at all : {
On 7/31/12, Karl Beldan <karl.beldan@...il.com> wrote:
> I might use something different in a not so distant future, yet, for
> the time being, this way of doing as its advantages.
} and during this time I might stick to the API.
I am not at ease telling people how they should take things,
especially if I asked for their help, all the more when they put
efforts within the exchange while being expert on the matter, yet
please, do not assume I did not care for your advices, which I deem of
the most valuable, as, needless to say, do the community.

> Fine, I won't spend any more time on this.  Just don't ever think about
> merging it into mainline, thanks.

Merge submission while taking such liberties .. that I would not dare
;) this really was a down to the ground technical question not the
start of a disguised start of a merging request.

I am sure that taking such liberties and feeling its limits before
sticking to a super safe API is not a bad thing, e.g it might trigger
easierly nasty hidden bugs, it is often beneficial to me at least.

Thanks for your feedback,

Karl