Date:	Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:47:18 -0400
From:	John David Anglin <dave.anglin@...l.net>
To:	Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@...hat.com>
CC:	"Srivatsa S. Bhat" <srivatsa.bhat@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"akpm@...ux-foundation.org" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	stepanm@...eaurora.org, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com, deller@....de,
	dhowells@...hat.com, yasutake.koichi@...panasonic.com,
	eike-kernel@...tec.de, linux-parisc@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: Linux 3.4-rc7

On 1-Aug-12, at 9:00 PM, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2012, John David Anglin wrote:
>
>> On 13-May-12, at 4:40 PM, John David Anglin wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the revised change fixes the compilation error.  I'll know in
>>> a while
>>> if
>>> my config boots.
>>

>> I successfully booted 3.4-rc7 with this change on rp3440 (4 cpu
>> smp).  My
>> build also
>> included cache and other fixes that are being discussed on the
>> parisc list.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Hi David
>
> Can I download a series of your PA-RISC patches somewhere?
>
> I applied this http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-parisc/
> msg03352.html and
> it improved stability for me (I had no gcc crashes since that, only
> about two aptitude crashes).
>
> How stable is it for you? Do you have some random crashes or not?

Attached are my latest patch sets for linux-stable 3.4 and 3.5 branches.
There is no place to to download them directly.  I added Jiri Kosina's
personality fix today to the 3.5 patch set.  Otherwise, they are
similar.

In general, stability with 3.4 has been pretty good.  I just started
testing
3.5 a couple of days ago.  I went about three weeks without a random
crash with 3.4 after I removed Al Viro's restart patch.  It was causing
problems with irq handling.

This is on 64-bit rp3440.  I have been using it to build debian unstable
and test GCC 4.8.  So, the machine gets a fair bit of exercise.  In
the last
little while, it has been pretty easy to keep up with the changes in
unstable.

Sorry, I haven't had time to submit my changes.  Some of the cache fixes
are a bit hard to explain.

Dave
--
John David Anglin	dave.anglin@...l.net

View attachment "linux-stable-3.4.7-20120730.d.txt" of type "text/plain" (40994 bytes)

View attachment "linux-stable-3.5-20120801.d.txt" of type "text/plain" (41992 bytes)