Date:	Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:53:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>
To:	Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, ap@...arrain.com
Subject: Re: Upgraded from 3.4 to 3.5.1 kernel: machine does not boot

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTH-6F
> Distro: Debian Testing x86_64
>
> >From 3.4 -> 3.5.1 on x86_64 make oldconfig and a few minor changes and the
> machine attempts to boot but hangs at the filesystem mounting part of the
> boot process.
>
> Picture of where it stops working (a little burry but readable)
> http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20120810/3.5-kernel-hangs.jpg
>
> Kernel config 3.4 (working)
> http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20120810/config-3.4.txt
>
> Kernel config 3.5.1 (hangs)
> http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20120810/config-3.5.1.txt
>
> As you see towards the end the machine has been sitting there for 1 hour as
> that's the timeout I have the drives spindown on the 3ware card.
>
> Any thoughts as what is wrong here?

Not really, but some (rather obvious) ideas on what to try:

- Does 3.5 work? (could be that whatever broke things for you was
introduced in 3.5.1).

- Does the latest 3.4.8 work?

- Does 3.6-rc1 (or even the latest snapshot of Linus' tree, post-rc1)
work?

- If noone comes up with a good idea as to the cause of your troubles, you
could try bisecting between your last working kernel and 3.5.1 to try and
narrow it down to one (or a few) commits that are causing your trouble.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>       http://www.chaosbits.net/
Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html