Date:	Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:48:05 +0200
From:	"Tim Sander" <tim.sander@....com>
To:	"Steven Rostedt" <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Cc:	"LKML" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"RT" <linux-rt-users@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"Carsten Emde" <C.Emde@...dl.org>, "John Kacur" <jkacur@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.4.9-rt17

Dear Linux-Realtimers

I just had the time to test this realtime release. Due to time constraints
this is the first test on the 3.4 rt series. The HW Platform i used for testing
is a ARM PCM043 i.mx35 with some tweaks to decrease latency. One of them is
using an interrupt to drive our system timer and not using hr timers.
But these tweaks are essentially the same between 3.0.30-rt50 and the now
tested 3.4.9-rt17. The only thing which is not applied on 3.4.9-rt17 is
switching the cpu to idle (which gives cold caches and bad latency), since the
old location was removed an i didn't found the new location but pm is switch
of in the 3.4 kernelconfig as attached.

The performance of the 3.4.9-rt17 is much much worse than the 3.0.30-rt50
kernel. While the 3.0 kernel was able to keep up with a 2400khz interrupt
source in usermode the 3.4 kernel drops out by a wide margin (6ms+?). I even
thought on the first moment that i didn't enable full realtime...

So if any of you have some comments why the latency performance degraded this
far or if you have a hint for me where to find the arch_idle function which has
been located in arch/arm/plat-mxc/include/mach/system.h so the config between
3.0 and 3.4 is as identical as it can be.

Attached is the kernel config for reference.

Best regards
Tim

PS: please ignore the legalese below this line, its added automatically by the
mail gateway :
Hottinger Baldwin Messtechnik GmbH, Im Tiefen See 45, 64293 Darmstadt, Germany | www.hbm.com

Registered as GmbH (German limited liability corporation) in the commercial register at the local court of Darmstadt, HRB 1147
Company domiciled in Darmstadt | CEO: Andreas Huellhorst | Chairman of the board: James Charles Webster

Als Gesellschaft mit beschraenkter Haftung eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerichts Darmstadt unter HRB 1147
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Darmstadt | Geschaeftsfuehrung: Andreas Huellhorst | Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: James Charles Webster

The information in this email is confidential. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please let me know and delete this email.

Die in dieser E-Mail enthaltene Information ist vertraulich und lediglich fur den Empfaenger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der eigentliche Empfaenger sein, informieren Sie mich bitte kurz und loeschen diese E-Mail.

View attachment "kernelconfig" of type "text/plain" (52033 bytes)