Date:	Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:29:55 +0100
From:	Alan Jenkins <alan.christopher.jenkins@...il.com>
To:	Christoph Jung <jung@...emercs.com>
CC:	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: issues with unknown/new alias [retraction]

On 13/09/12 09:57, Christoph Jung wrote:
> Am 13.09.2012 10:49, schrieb Alan Jenkins:
>> On 13/09/12 08:25, Christoph Jung wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am from the company "Code Mercenaries GmbH" from Germany. We have
>>> some USB HID devices wich work with Linux.
>>> Since kernel version 2.6 our default products will be included in
>>> the kernel.
>>>
>>> Devicedetails
>>> VendorID: 0x07C0
>>> ProductIDs: 0x1500, 0x1501, 0x1511, 0x1512, 0x1503
>>> Devicename: iowarrior
>>>
>>> Now we have some new custom product IDs but this two new devices get
>>> no node in dev/usb/ , but I can find the with "lsusb".
>>> If I run "modinfo iowarrior" there will be 5 alias (with the default
>>> pIDs) .
>>>
>>> The two new pIDs are: 0x158A, 0x158B
>>>
>>> I have not much experiance with linux (I work with Ubuntu 12.04).
>>> What have be done to get the device nodes to work with them?
>>> Have I add some rules? Or have I edit the iowarrior.ko?
>>>
>> Argh, sorry, I misread your email and went off on one.
>>
>> You will indeed need to "edit iowarrior.ko".  I.e. change the C
>> source code to include the new pIDs, recompile, test, get patches
>> merged into the mainline kernel etc :).
>>
>> It's also possible to test new devices with an old driver, i.e.
>> before you modify it.  Possible instructions: http://www.ha19.no/usb/
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Ah ok but where will I find the sourcecode for iowarrior.ko ?
> I have no idea about compiling, patching in linux
>
> Christoph

The kernel is all one big tree.  The file you're looking for is
drivers/usb/misc/iowarrior.c.  (Preview at
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/usb/misc/iowarrior.c).
The change you're talking about should be fairly straightforward - just
look for the existing ids.

Step 1 for me has always been to compile a whole kernel. Unfortunately
that's a bit of learning curve.  I'm not sure which resources to recommend.

Alan