Date:	Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:58:27 -0700
From:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>
To:	containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org, cgroups@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Li Zefan <lizefan@...wei.com>, Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>,
	Glauber Costa <glommer@...allels.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Paul Turner <pjt@...gle.com>,
	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>,
	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@...ibm.com>,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...stprotocols.net>,
	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>,
	"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: [RFC] cgroup TODOs

Hello, guys.

Here's the write-up I promised last week about what I think are the
problems in cgroup and what the current plans are.

First of all, it's a mess.  Shame on me.  Shame on you.  Shame on all
of us for allowing this mess.  Let's all tremble in shame for solid
ten seconds before proceeding.

I'll list the issues I currently see with cgroup (easier ones first).
I think I now have at least tentative plans for all of them and will
list them together with the prospective asignees (my wish mostly).
Unfortunately, some of the plans involve userland visible changes
which would at least cause some discomfort and require adjustments on
their part.

1. cpu and cpuacct

  They cover the same resources and the scheduler cgroup code ends up
  having to traverse two separate cgroup trees to update the stats.
  With nested cgroups, the overhead isn't insignificant and it
  generally is silly.

  While the use cases for having cpuacct on a separate and likely more
  granular hierarchy, are somewhat valid, the consensus seems that
  it's just not worth the trouble and cpuacct should be removed in the
  long term and we shouldn't allow overlapping controllers for the
  same resource, especially accounting ones.

  Solution:

  * Whine if cpuacct is not co-mounted with cpu.

  * Make sure cpu has all the stats of cpuacct.  If cpu and cpuacct
    are comounted, don't really mount cpuacct but tell cpu that the
    user requested it.  cpu is updated to create aliases for cpuacct.*
    files in such cases.  This involves special casing cpuacct in
    cgroup core but I much prefer one-off exception case to adding a
    generic mechanism for this.

  * After a while, we can just remove cpuacct completely.

  * Later on, phase out the aliases too.

  Who:

  Me, working on it.

2. memcg's __DEPRECATED_clear_css_refs

  This is a remnant of another weird design decision of requiring
  synchronous draining of refcnts on cgroup removal and allowing
  subsystems to veto cgroup removal - what's the userspace supposed to
  do afterwards?  Note that this also hinders co-mounting different
  controllers.

  The behavior could be useful for development and debugging but it
  unnecessarily interlocks userland visible behavior with in-kernel
  implementation details.  To me, it seems outright wrong (either
  implement proper severing semantics in the controller or do full
  refcnting) and disallows, for example, lazy drain of caching refs.
  Also, it complicates the removal path with try / commit / revert
  logic which has never been fully correct since the beginning.

  Currently, the only left user is memcg.

  Solution:

  * Update memcg->pre_destroy() such that it never fails.

  * Drop __DEPRECATED_clear_css_refs and all related logic.
    Convert pre_destroy() to return void.

  Who:

  KAMEZAWA, Michal, PLEASE.  I will make __DEPRECATED_clear_css_refs
  trigger WARN sooner or later.  Let's please get this settled.

3. cgroup_mutex usage outside cgroup core

  This is another thing which is simply broken.  Given the way cgroup
  is structured and used, nesting cgroup_mutex inside any other
  commonly used lock simply doesn't work - it's held while invoking
  controller callbacks which then interact and synchronize with
  various core subsystems.

  There are currently three external cgroup_mutex users - cpuset,
  memcontrol and cgroup_freezer.

  Solution:

  Well, we should just stop doing it - use a separate nested lock
  (which seems possible for cgroup_freezer) or track and mange task
  in/egress some other way.

  Who:

  I'll do the cgroup_freezer.  I'm hoping PeterZ or someone who's
  familiar with the code base takes care of cpuset.  Michal, can you
  please take care of memcg?

4. Make disabled controllers cheaper

  Mostly through the use of static_keys, I suppose.  Making this
  easier AFAICS depends on resolving #2.  The lock dependency loop
  from #2 makes using static_keys from cgroup callbacks extremely
  nasty.

  Solution:

  Fix #2 and support common pattern from cgroup core.

  Who:

  Dunno.  Let's see.

5. I CAN HAZ HIERARCHIES?

  The cpu ones handle nesting correctly - parent's accounting includes
  children's, parent's configuration affects children's unless
  explicitly overridden, and children's limits nest inside parent's.

  memcg asked itself the existential question of to be hierarchical or
  not and then got confused and decided to become both.

  When faced with the same question, blkio and cgroup_freezer just
  gave up and decided to allow nesting and then ignore it - brilliant.

  And there are others which kinda sorta try to handle hierarchy but
  only goes way-half.

  This one is screwed up embarrassingly badly.  We failed to establish
  one of the most basic semantics and can't even define what a cgroup
  hierarchy is - it depends on each controller and they're mostly
  wacky!

  Fortunately, I don't think it will be prohibitively difficult to dig
  ourselves out of this hole.

  Solution:

  * cpu ones seem fine.

  * For broken controllers, cgroup core will be generating warning
    messages if the user tries to nest cgroups so that the user at
    least can know that the behavior may change underneath them later
    on.  For more details,

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1356264/focus=3902

  * memcg can be fully hierarchical but we need to phase out the flat
    hierarchy support.  Unfortunately, this involves flipping the
    behavior for the existing users.  Upstream will try to nudge users
    with warning messages.  Most burden would be on the distros and at
    least SUSE seems to be on board with it.  Needs coordination with
    other distros.

  * blkio is the most problematic.  It has two sub-controllers - cfq
    and blk-throttle.  Both are utterly broken in terms of hierarchy
    support and the former is known to have pretty hairy code base.  I
    don't see any other way than just biting the bullet and fixing it.

  * cgroup_freezer and others shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

  Who:

  memcg can be handled by memcg people and I can handle cgroup_freezer
  and others with help from the authors.  The problematic one is
  blkio.  If anyone is interested in working on blkio, please be my
  guest.  Vivek?  Glauber?

6. Multiple hierarchies

  Apart from the apparent wheeeeeeeeness of it (I think I talked about
  that enough the last time[1]), there's a basic problem when more
  than one controllers interact - it's impossible to define a resource
  group when more than two controllers are involved because the
  intersection of different controllers is only defined in terms of
  tasks.

  IOW, if an entity X is of interest to two controllers, there's no
  way to map X to the cgroups of the two controllers.  X may belong to
  A and B when viewed by one task but A' and B when viewed by another.
  This already is a head scratcher in writeback where blkcg and memcg
  have to interact.

  While I am pushing for unified hierarchy, I think it's necessary to
  have different levels of granularities depending on controllers
  given that nesting involves significant overhead and noticeable
  controller-dependent behavior changes.

  Solution:

  I think a unified hierarchy with the ability to ignore subtrees
  depending on controllers should work.  For example, let's assume the
  following hierarchy.

	/   \
       A     B
      / \
     AA AB

  All controllers are co-mounted.  There is per-cgroup knob which
  controls which controllers nest beyond it.  If blkio doesn't want to
  distinguish AA and AB, the user can specify that blkio doesn't nest
  beyond A and blkio would see the tree as,

	/   \
       A     B

  While other controllers keep seeing the original tree.  The exact
  form of interface, I don't know yet.  It could be a single file
  which the user echoes [-]controller name into it or per-controller
  boolean file.

  I think this level of flexibility should be enough for most use
  cases.  If someone disagrees, please voice your objections now.

  I *think* this can be achieved by changing where css_set is bound.
  Currently, a css_set is (conceptually) owned by a task.  After the
  change, a cgroup in the unified hierarchy has its own css_set which
  tasks point to and can also be used to tag resources as necessary.
  This way, it should be achieveable without introducing a lot of new
  code or affecting individual controllers too much.

  The headache will be the transition period where we'll probably have
  to support both modes of operation.  Oh well....

  Who:

  Li, Glauber and me, I guess?

7. Misc issues

  * Sort & unique when listing tasks.  Even the documentation says it
    doesn't happen but we have a good hunk of code doing it in
    cgroup.c.  I'm gonna rip it out at some point.  Again, if you
    don't like it, scream.

  * At the PLC, pjt told me that assinging threads of a cgroup to
    different cgroups is useful for some use cases but if we're to
    have a unified hierarchy, I don't think we can continue to do
    that.  Paul, can you please elaborate the use case?

  * Vivek brought up the issue of distributing resources to tasks and
    groups in the same cgroup.  I don't know.  Need to think more
    about it.

Thanks.

--
tejun