Date:	Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:58:27 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Paul Walmsley <paul@...an.com>
Cc:	"Bruce, Becky" <bbruce@...com>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paul.mckenney@...aro.org>,
	"<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"<linux-omap@...r.kernel.org>" <linux-omap@...r.kernel.org>,
	"<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
	"Hilman, Kevin" <khilman@...com>,
	"Shilimkar, Santosh" <santosh.shilimkar@...com>,
	"Hunter, Jon" <jon-hunter@...com>,
	"<snijsure@...d-net.com>" <snijsure@...d-net.com>,
	fweisbec@...il.com
Subject: Re: rcu self-detected stall messages on OMAP3, 4 boards

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 06:08:59PM +0000, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> cc Frederic Weisbecker - context is here:
>
>    http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=134749030206016&w=2
>
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
> > Fair point.  I am wondering whether there is some path into the idle
> > loop that somehow avoids telling RCU that the CPU has in face entered
> > idle.  There needs to be an rcu_idle_enter() call on the way to idle,
> > otherwise RCU CPU stall warnings are expected behavior.
>
> As far as I know, our only idle entry point is in
> arch/arm/common/process.c:cpu_idle().

In mainline, this is arch/arm/kernel/process.c, correct?

> Looking at the x86 idle entry, they call rcu_idle_{enter,exit}() inside
> {stop,start}_critical_timings().  Making that change here didn't help.

The reason x86 does this is that they have idle notifiers deeper in the
idle loop that use RCU read-side critical sections.  So this was an
expected result.

> Also tried commenting out the code from the stop_critical_timings() call
> to the WARN_ON(irqs_disabled()), and adding a local_irq_enable().  That
> also didn't help, which suggests that the problem is not caused by the
> OMAP-specific PM idle code.

I must admit that you make a convincing case here.  Though it does leave
me wondering what is different about Panda (and MX28, IIRC).

I may take your advice of remote access to a Panda board, though that
is likely to take a bit of time due to timezones.  Regardless of the
underlying issue here, I clearly need to make the stall-warning messages
do a better job of printing out needed information.

							Thanx, Paul