Date:	Tue, 02 Oct 2012 01:54:47 +0200
From:	Pierre Beck <mail@...rre-beck.de>
To:	Chris Murphy <lists@...orremedies.com>
CC:	Linux RAID <linux-raid@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Areca hardware RAID / first-ever SCSI bus reset: am I about to
 lose this disk controller?

Yes. When in degraded mode, timeout should be raised to five minutes or
so. When in clean mode, timeout should be a tunable in milliseconds.
Commercial RAIDs offer timeouts in ranges like 200ms - 2s. Plus a disk
which was kicked that way should be scanned for and re-added if
possible. With write-intent bitmaps, that would make RAIDs with aging
disks or cables much more solid.

Also, non-degraded mode: Skip loop resets. Skip all resets actually, if
possible. Just kick the disk. Degraded mode: Perform loop resets as it
is now. A hung-up controller would then cause an array to degrade, but
won't hang indefinitely. Granted, always doing loop resets keeps the
array non-degraded, but a crashed controller is rare whilst failing
disks are common.

linux-scsi and linux-raid should talk about this one day to make it
happen. Requires a bit of interfacing between the layers.