Date:	Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:10:33 +0200
From:	Alexander Holler <holler@...oftware.de>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
CC:	Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel BUG at fs/buffer.c:3205 (stable 3.5.3)

Am 02.10.2012 11:30, schrieb Alexander Holler:
> Am 01.10.2012 11:21, schrieb Alexander Holler:

>>>    BTW, fglrx moodule taints the kernel because it is a proprietary
>>> driver.
>>
>> I know.
>>
>>> Can you reproduce the issue without this module loaded?
>>
>> I will try it with a clean 3.6. Most of the 9 additional patches here
>> are for ARM boxes, but anyway. I will need a few days.
>
> Just tried my "tar cp . | mbuffer | bzip2smp >/usb3/ext4/foo.tar.bz2
> using a kernel 3.6 without using fglrx and without any additional
> patches. The first try already ended up in a broken archive (tar djf =>
> bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing), but (again) without the
> BUG() in fs/buffer.c getting hit. Will do some more tests, trying hit
> that BUG().

I found the problem. Looks like either the RAM, CPU or the stuff
inbetween is broken because I see some memory failures (1 bit flipped on
some bytes) when using memtest(86+).

The people which are responsible that the chips for "consumer"-HW and
laptops got their (already included) ECC functionality disabled should
get hit with Googles (now 3y old) study on that topic all the day.
Leaving customers in danger by not offering them at least the
possibility to use ECC RAM is just stupid.

Sorry to everyone whose time I've wasted.

Regards,

Alexander