Date:	Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:13:56 +0000
From:	Mark Brown <broonie@...nsource.wolfsonmicro.com>
To:	Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@....de>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Q] .readable_reg() not verified during read?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 08:40:55AM +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Mark Brown wrote:

> > No real reason, though to be honest it's not that important - the main
> > reason for having the function is to make the debugfs stuff work nicely
> > rather than anything else.

> But what about initialising the register cache in regcache_hw_init()?
> Doesn't it read in all registers without checking their readability?

I don't know if anyone's actually using that to be honest, I don't on
any of my systems, and in any case most hardware is implemented to allow
reads on undocumented registers so probably it'll do something
reasonable even if it's not doing quite what you'd expect.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)