Date:	Fri, 09 Nov 2012 01:41:45 +0200
From:	Marcus Sundman <marcus@...ox.fi>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Debugging system freezes on filesystem writes

On 07.11.2012 18:17, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Fri 02-11-12 04:19:24, Marcus Sundman wrote:
>> On 01.11.2012 21:01, Jan Kara wrote:
>>> On Mon 29-10-12 00:39:46, Marcus Sundman wrote:
>>>    Hello,

>>>    These are Ubuntu kernels. Any chance to reproduce the issue with vanilla
>>> kernels - i.e. kernels without any Ubuntu patches?
>> I'm afraid it's going to take a week to compile a kernel with this
>> freezing going on, but I suppose I could get another computer to do
>> the compiling. Or should I install some pre-compiled version? If so,
>> which one?
>    You can install anything precompiled. It's just that I want to rule out
> some Ubuntu specific patches...

OK, I tried it with a vanilla 3.6.6 -- "uname -a" says "Linux hal
3.6.6-030606-generic #201211050512 SMP Mon Nov 5 10:12:53 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"

t=01:06 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.pre-freeze.txt
t=01:08 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.during-freeze.txt
t=01:12 http://sundman.iki.fi/vmstat.post-freeze.txt

>    Also you can try doing:
> echo never >/sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
>    and see whether it changes anything.

It's already set to 'nerver'. I think I configured this in the very
beginning when trying to do something about these freezes.

I also have these in sysctl:
vm.swappiness=1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
vm.dirty_ratio = 15
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 8

And /sys/block/sda/device/queue_depth is 1.

Regards,
Marcus