Date:	Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:17:43 -0500
From:	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
To:	Jaegeuk Hanse <jaegeuk.hanse@...il.com>
Cc:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, metin d <metdos@...oo.com>,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: Problem in Page Cache Replacement

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 09:16:27PM +0800, Jaegeuk Hanse wrote:
> On 11/22/2012 09:09 AM, Johannes Weiner wrote:

> >>Hi Johannes,
> >>
> >>What's the meaning of "inter-reference distance"
> >It's the number of memory accesses between two accesses to the same
> >page:
> >
> >   A B C D A B C E ...
> >     |_______|
> >     |       |

> >>and why compare it with half of memoy, what's the trick?
> >If B gets accessed twice, it gets activated.  If it gets evicted in
> >between, the second access will be a fresh page fault and B will not
> >be recognized as frequently used.
> >
> >Our cutoff for scanning the active list is cache size / 2 right now
> >(inactive_file_is_low), leaving 50% of memory to the inactive list.
> >If the inter-reference distance for pages on the inactive list is
> >bigger than that, they get evicted before their second access.
>
> Hi Johannes,
>
> Thanks for your explanation. But could you give a short description
> of how you resolve this inactive list thrashing issues?

I remember a time stamp of evicted file pages in the page cache radix
tree that let me reconstruct the inter-reference distance even after a
page has been evicted from cache when it's faulted back in.  This way
I can tell a one-time sequence from thrashing, no matter how small the
inactive list.

When thrashing is detected, I start deactivating protected pages and
put them next to the refaulted cache on the head of the inactive list
and let them fight it out as usual.  In this reported case, the old
data will be challenged and since it's no longer used, it will just
drop off the inactive list eventually.  If the guess is wrong and the
deactivated memory is used more heavily than the refaulting pages,
they will just get activated again without incurring any disruption
like a major fault.