Date:	Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:33:16 -0500
From:	"Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>
To:	"'Bjorn Helgaas'" <bhelgaas@...gle.com>
Cc:	'Bruno Prémont' <bonbons@...ux-vserver.org>,
Subject: RE: Supermicro X9SRL-F - channel enumeration error & ACPI/firmware bug question

From: Bjorn Helgaas [mailto:bhelgaas@...gle.com]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:12 PM
To: Justin Piszcz
Cc: Bruno Prémont; support@...ermicro.com; linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org; Dan
Subject: Re: Supermicro X9SRL-F - channel enumeration error & ACPI/firmware

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@...idpixels.com>

Dan
> Williams
> Subject: Re: Supermicro X9SRL-F - channel enumeration error &
ACPI/firmware
> bug question
>
> [Try Dan's current email address; sorry Dan]
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>
wrote:
>> [+cc Dan]
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Bruno Prémont
>> <bonbons@...ux-vserver.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Justin,

> which
> Here is the full dmesg: (I went back to my older kernel, let me know if
you
> need a dmesg w/ those options enabled)
> http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20121126/dmesg.txt

It looks like maybe you don't have CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG turned on?

Hi,

I have two supermicro boards I am trying this on, I tried this on another
system I have (X8DTH-6F), with all of these options enabled, the system does
not boot.  It cannot talk to the SATA boot drive.

" 5520 chips built in, the X8DTH-6/X8DTH-6F/X8DTH-i/X8DTH-iF offers ......
The Intel I/OAT (I/O Acceleration Technology) significantly reduces CPU
over- head by ..."

When the following options are enabled, the system does not boot:

+CONFIG_HAVE_INTEL_TXT=y
+CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
+CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y
+CONFIG_DMAR_TABLE=y
+CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU=y
+CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y
+CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_FLOPPY_WA=y

It fails like so:

(Fails to talk to the SSD)
http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20121127/photo1-resize.jpg

(then, a few moments later: Kernel panic)
http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20121127/photo2-resize.jpg

With those options disabled, the system boots (and always has booted fine).
Is there a certain combination of parameters that allows I/OAT to be enabled
_and_ allow the system to boot?

Justin.