Date:	Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:29:54 +0200
From:	Terje Bergström <tbergstrom@...dia.com>
To:	Lucas Stach <dev@...xeye.de>
CC:	Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@...onic-design.de>,
	Stephen Warren <swarren@...dotorg.org>,
	"linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org" <linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org>,
	"dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org" <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 1/8] video: tegra: Add nvhost driver

On 01.12.2012 19:34, Lucas Stach wrote:
> This would certainly make life easier, but personally I don't think it's
> the right thing to do. The separation of the Linux kernel into different
> subsystems was done for a reason and just because the specific hardware
> at hands happens to work a bit different is no valid reason to break
> with the standard rules of the kernel.
>
> So I think there is no way around handling the different drivers that
> use host1x in different trees. For the time being there is _only_
> tegra-drm using host1x in the upstream kernel. We have to make sure to
> come up with some API which is reasonably stable, so we don't run into
> big problems later. That's why I'm really in favour to keep host1x and
> tegra-drm side by side in the current upstream, to make sure we can
> change the API without jumping through too much hoops.
>
> Your downstream V4L would have to use host1x from the DRM directory, but
> really: is your downstream such a nice, clean codebase that you are not
> able to cope with the slight ugliness of this solution?

Ok, can do. I'll move the code base to drivers/gpu/drm/tegra/host1x. For
downstream, the host1x driver implements all user space APIs (no drm, no
v4l, etc) so the directory is of no consequence. If we immersed host1x
driver totally with tegra-drm, that'd be a problem, but if I can keep a
separation, that's fine.

> Please make sure to remove any unnecessary cruft from host1x in the
> process and don't try to make too big of a step at once. We only need
> one type of memory within host1x: native host1x objects, no need to plan
> for support of anything else. Also taking over ownership of the IOMMU
> address space might take some more work in the IOMMU API. We can leave
> this out completely for a start. Both Tegra 2 and 3 should be able to
> work with CMA backed objects just fine.

Ok, that simplifies the process. I'll just implement firewall and copy
the strema over to kernel space unconditionally.

Terje