Date:	Mon, 03 Dec 2012 09:40:48 -0500
From:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:	David Daney <ddaney.cavm@...il.com>
Cc:	Alan Cooper <alcooperx@...il.com>, ralf@...ux-mips.org,
	linux-mips@...ux-mips.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: MIPS Function Tracer question

On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 15:00 -0800, David Daney wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 01:04 PM, Alan Cooper wrote:
> > I've been doing some testing of the MIPS Function Tracer functionality
> > on the 3.3 kernel. I was surprised to find that the option to generate
> > frame pointers was required for tracing.
>
> It is not really required for MIPS function tracing, but the Kconfigs
> for some reason set it.

The issue is with x86. Gcc wont compile if you have -pg and
-fomit-frame-pointer on x86. I originally forced function tracing to
select FRAME_POINTER, but because now on x86 with -mfentry, -pg no
longer requires frame pointers being set, I just let -pg complain one
way or the other. I believe that gcc by default will not add frame
pointers. Thus adding function tracing just prevents
-fomit-frame-pointer from being set, and if -pg requires frame pointers
it will automatically enable them otherwise they should not be enabled.

-- Steve