Date:	Thu, 06 Dec 2012 16:57:50 -0800
From:	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>
To:	Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...onical.com>
CC:	Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>,
	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@...lyn.com>,
	"Andrew G. Morgan" <morgan@...nel.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	James Morris <james.l.morris@...cle.com>,
	Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>,
	"Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@...onical.com>,
	Markku Savela <msa@...h.iki.fi>,
	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Capabilities still can't be inherited by normal programs

On 12/5/2012 2:20 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto@...capital.net):
>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...onical.com> wrote:
>>> Quoting Andy Lutomirski (luto@...capital.net):

>>> Since you're writing a special helper, you can surely have it validate
>>> the userid and make it so the calling user doesn't have to have
>>> cap_net_raw in pI?
>> I can and did.
> Oh, oops, I mis-understood what you meant was the problem.
>
> Yup, that is a real limitation.
>
> Yes, with the posix file caps you will be disappointed unless you see
> pI=X as "this user may run any program which is Inh-trusted with X" and
> fI=X as "this program may be run with X by any user Inh-trusted with X".
>
> It almost makes me want to say that there should be an execve-analogue
> to prctl(PR_SET_KEEPCAPS), which says caps will remain unchanged for one
> execve.  Or perhaps an intermediate securebits state between
> !SECBIT_NOROOT and SECBIT_NOROOT, which automatically transitions after
> the first execve to SECBIT_NOROOT.
>
>> The mere presence of a cap_net_raw+i tcpdump binary is more or less
>> equivalent to saying that users with cap_net_raw in pI can capture
>> packets.  I've just prevented pI=cap_net_raw from meaning anything
>> less than "can capture packets".  So I think we should bite the bullet
>> and just let programs opt in (via some appropriately careful
>> mechanism) to real capability inheritance.
> By real you mean more precise.  I think it'd be very interesting to get
> together with Markku and learn more from the N9 experiment!
>
> Markku, are there any post-mortem analysis papers we can read for
> starters?  Andy would not be trying to restrict root in general, so
> the ramification you cited may not necessarily be relevant.
>
> -serge

http://wt.tuxomania.net/publications/posix.1e/download.html

Everyone should read the capabilities rationale. It answers most
of the questions on this thread, and a bunch more. The capabilities
mechanism has to support what are currently setuid-root programs
without change and allow for new programs that use the mechanism
wisely and fully.