Date:	Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:01:39 +0000
From:	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>
To:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	tglx@...utronix.de, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...ux.intel.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [tip:x86/build] x86: Default to ARCH= x86 to avoid overriding
 CONFIG_64BIT

On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 17:52 -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I'll look into this. I presume it was *always* failing, but
> > nobody happened to come across it because our test coverage of x86
> > configs without CONFIG_64BIT wasn't particularly good?
> >

> Purely for selfish reasons, 32-bit isn't interesting for me.  I'm sure
> they existed before, as you said, but only got exposed to be because "make
> randconfig" now allows such configurations.  I've added ARCH=x86_64 to my
> scripts.

I recommend using an all.config file instead, which will allow you to
set not only the value for CONFIG_64BIT but also anything *else* you
want to exclude. Especially if you want things to actually be bootable,
that will be necessary.

The legacy i386/x86_64 values for $ARCH from before the merge are
basically no longer needed. The *only* thing they do is override the
CONFIG_64BIT setting, IIRC. So they ought to be able to go away in time,
and starting to use them in scripts now is probably not the best idea.

--
dwmw2

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/x-pkcs7-signature" (6171 bytes)