Date:	Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:36:34 +0530
From:	Preeti U Murthy <preeti@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@...aro.org>
CC:	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"svaidy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com" <svaidy@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@...aro.org>,
	Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@...aro.org>,
	Morten Rasmussen <Morten.Rasmussen@....com>,
	Paul McKenney <paul.mckenney@...aro.org>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>, Paul Turner <pjt@...gle.com>,
	Venki Pallipadi <venki@...gle.com>,
	Robin Randhawa <robin.randhawa@....com>,
	Lists linaro-dev <linaro-dev@...ts.linaro.org>
Subject: Re: sched: Consequences of integrating the Per Entity Load Tracking
 Metric into the Load Balancer

On 01/07/2013 09:18 PM, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> [...]
>> 80%    40%        80%    40%           80%      40%
>> cpu1  cpu2        cpu1   cpu2          cpu1     cpu2
>>

>> This makes load balance trigger movement of 40% from cpu1 back to
>> cpu2.Hence the stability that the load balancer was trying to achieve is
>> gone.Hence the culprit boils down to select_idle_sibling.How is it the
>> culprit and how is it hindering performance of the workloads?
>>
>> *What is the way ahead with the per entity load tracking metric in the
>> load balancer then?*
>>
>> In replies to a post by Paul in https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/6/105,
>> he mentions the following:
>>
>> "It is my intuition that the greatest carnage here is actually caused
>> by wake-up load-balancing getting in the way of periodic in
>> establishing a steady state. I suspect more mileage would result from
>> reducing the interference wake-up load-balancing has with steady
>> state."
>>
>> "The whole point of using blocked load is so that you can converge on a
>> steady state where you don't NEED to move tasks.  What disrupts this is
>> we naturally prefer idle cpus on wake-up balance to reduce wake-up
>> latency. I think the better answer is making these two processes load
>> balancing() and select_idle_sibling() more co-operative."
>>
>> I had not realised how this would happen until I saw it happening in the
>> above experiment.
>>
>> Based on what Paul explained above let us use the runnable load + the
>> blocked load for calculating the load on a cfs runqueue rather than just
>> the runnable load(which is what i am doing now) and see its consequence.
>>
>> Initially:       40% task sleeps
>>
>>        40%
>> 80%    40%   ->  80%  40%
>> cpu1   cpu2     cpu1  cpu2
>>
>> So initially the load on cpu1 is say 80 and on cpu2 also it is
>> 80.Balanced.Now when 40% task sleeps,the total load on cpu2=runnable
>> load+blocked load.which is still 80.
>>
>> As a consequence,firstly,during periodic load balancing the load is not
>> moved from cpu1 to cpu2 when the 40% task sleeps.(It sees the load on
>> cpu2 as 80 and not as 40).
>> Hence the above scenario remains the same.On wake up,what happens?
>>
>> Here comes the point of making both load balancing and wake up
>> balance(select_idle_sibling) co operative. How about we always schedule
>> the woken up task on the prev_cpu? This seems more sensible considering
>> load balancing considers blocked load as being a part of the load of cpu2.
>
> Hi Preeti,
>
> I'm not sure that we want such steady state at cores level because we
> take advantage of migrating wake up tasks between cores that share
> their cache as Matthew demonstrated. But I agree that reaching such
> steady state at cluster and CPU level is interesting.
>
> IMHO, you're right that taking the blocked load into consideration
> should minimize tasks migration between cluster but it should no
> prevent fast task migration between cores that share their cache

True Vincent.But I think the one disadvantage even at cpu or cluster
level is that when we consider blocked load, we might prevent any more
tasks from being scheduled on that cpu during periodic load balance if
the blocked load is too much.This is very poor cpu utilization

Also we can consider steady states if the waking tasks have a specific
waking pattern.I am not sure if we can risk hoping that the blocked task
would wake up soon or would wake up at time 'x' and utilize that cpu.

> Vincent

Regards
Preeti U Murthy